Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2016-17 KUMBB Recruiting UPDATED 2017-08-12

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11425 by HawkErrant
No announcement yet, but talk is spreading that the coaches have been notified and it's OU. If so, congrats to Sooners, and no faulting Young for staying home.

Announcement pending @ noon.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11432 by HawkErrant
www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...-young-picks-ou-next

With 2 open rides still to fill and Rivals #37 Marcus Garrett (4 star CG) already signed, Trae Young still would have been a great catch, but missing out does not mean KU is dead in the water for a future PG. Plus KU is still in the running, along with at least Duke, for Rivals #3 player, 5 star PG Trevon Duval. Landing Duval would more than make up for not reeling in Young.

And who knows what other diamonds in the rough Bill Self & Company might find out there? For us older Jayhawks, could they find at least another Cedric Hunter? I would not be at all unhappy. Of course, today's KUMBB Dynamic Duo are the current examples of unheralded guards rising to stardom while at KU. Another Graham? Sign him up! ANother Mason? Oh, my...

Beaks up, Jayhawks! Self & Company are still out scouring the nation's nests for more hawklings to raise in The Aerie in The Phog! DG & FM have shown the college basketball world that sure, Self likes big men, but he knows what to do with little birds with big hearts and the willingness to work hard 'til their feathers fall out!

Fill the aerie, HCBS!

But for now, Beat Dem Bears!

Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Changed Garrett from PG to CG

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 1 month ago #12066 by HawkErrant
Today Bill Self is visiting Hutchinson CC PF Shakur Juiston. Here is what Shay Wildeboor of Rivals JayhawkSlant writes about the lad ( kansas.forums.rivals.com/threads/shakur-juiston.56716/ if you are a subscriber)...
================================
Source: Shay Wildeboor at JayhawkSlant on Rivals:

Bill Self is expected to drop by Hutchinson (KS) Community College today to check in on Shakur Juiston, the 6-foot-7, 215-pound forward from Newark, N.J. Coming out of Patterson East Side High School in Newark, N.J., in the class of 2015, Juiston was an unranked (no stars) power forward

On July 20, 2014, Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Contributing National Analyst Dan McDonald has this to say about Juiston.

“The Playaz also received significant contributions from Shakur Juiston, a bouncy 6-foot-7 power forward. Juiston consistently reeled in tough rebounds and finished in traffic. Word amongst coaches in attendance is that his recruitment will be taking off when he returns home from the Peach Jam.”

In looking over his profile, no schools were listed and I haven’t been able to find a lot of information, but I’m still doing some research and making some calls.

According to the Hutchinson Community College website, Juiston is currently averaging 16.7 points, 11.6 rebounds per game and 3.9 assists per game. Through 30 games, he’s shooting 61.4 percent from the field and 54.2 percent from the free-throw line.

Furthermore, he’s scored 15 or more points 18 times and grabbed five or more rebounds 30 times. Additionally, Juiston has pulled down 10 or more rebounds 21 times. This kid, without question, is an absolute monster on the glass.

================================

Aside from the scoring and rebounding attributes, those who have seen him play say he has great hands and is an excellent passer (note the 3.9 APG at Hutch).

To me, this kid sounds like a solid prospect to boost our frontcourt next year. Azubuike, Bragg, Lightfoot and Coleby return, and KU adds at least Preston so far. With two schollys still open (one being held in hopes of landing top PG Trevon Duval, Rivals #3 overall 2017 recruit, who seems to be down to KU and Duke), this fellow would seem to fit somewhere between the Jamari Traylor/Kevin Young molds. Buckets and Boards, baby, go get 'em!

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 1 month ago #12435 by HawkErrant
www.espn.com/recruiting/basketball/story...s-release-georgetown

2017 Rivals #36 recruit Tremont Waters has asked for, and is expected to be granted, his release from Georgetown. His final list included KU, Duke and IU, all of who are still looking for a top PG recruit. Waters could be a good alternative for KU or Duke depending on where #3 recruit Trevon Duval decides to go.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
7 years 1 month ago #12549 by DrJHawker
With Washington firing Lorenzo Romar, is Michael Porter's skills back on the market? Porter Jr. didn't sign a LOI and the new MIzzou coach is now planning to hire Porter Sr. Interesting stuff. Yet, Porter Jr. may decide it is time to cut the strings and take his services elsewhere, like to Lawrence. If I had to guess Jr. will be following his dad to Columbia but you never know.

bleacherreport.com/articles/2698242-lore...n=college-basketball

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 1 month ago #12558 by HawkErrant
DrJHawker wrote: Yet, Porter Jr. may decide it is time to cut the strings and take his services elsewhere, like to Lawrence. If I had to guess Jr. will be following his dad to Columbia but you never know.
=========================================================

I will be amazed if MPJr, originally from Columbia, MO, ends up anywhere other than mOO.

Should that most unlikely of events happen -- and it won't, I'd bet on this one, and I never bet on recruiting -- I would think KU would be his obvious choice. Of course, he would immediately become persona non grata in what will once again be his hometown.

Fallout of such an unlikely event --

1. mOO hatred of KU will receive a booster shot (don't know they needed one or not, and frankly don't care. I never look for news about them. If i encounter it in the media or in conversation I'll address it, but otherwise they are beyond Pluto as far as I am concerned.)

2. The true shambles of the program, even with the hiring of East St. Louis' Cuonzo Martin away from Cal-Berkeley, will not be exposed in the national media, that has already happened. But it will once again be salt in the wound to mOO fans everywhere, and something I would not wish on anyone... almost... ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #12858 by JRhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #13196 by JRhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13225 by JRhawk
I know this is an Insider story - unfortunately, I can't know how much others are able to see. Trevon Duval is at the top - #4 overall.
Has KU, Arizona, Duke, Baylor, & Seton Hall. http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=17195
Quote from the story:
"Duval, the nation’s top uncommitted prospect, is now in wait-and-see mode.

“I’m waiting to see what other guys do,” he said. “See if guys declare [for the NBA draft], see if guys stay. See where I can fit in. That’s really the only thing I’m waiting on.

“[Duke has] a lot of guys that can leave and a lot of guys that can stay. The same with Arizona and sort of the same with Kansas.”

At Duke, Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard and Frank Jackson are all NBA prospects who have yet to declare their pro intentions. Arizona has a slew of wings with pro dreams: Allonzo Trier, Rawle Alkins and Kobi Simmons. Then there’s Kansas, which will lose Wooden Award favorite Frank Mason III but still has Mississippi State transfer Malik Newman entering the program. The key could be whether Devonte' Graham returns to Lawrence for his senior season.

Seton Hall has the Under Armour connection (he played on the Under Armour circuit last summer), and it’s closer to Duval’s roots in Delaware. Duval also grew close to the Baylor staff during his time at Advanced Prep International (Texas)."
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, porthawk

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13336 by JRhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 1 week ago #13376 by HawkErrant
With the announcement that Carlton Bragg, Jr is leaving, HCBS has another scholly to fill, bring the vacancies to 3 as I write this.
From the article:
Bragg’s departure opens up another scholarship and Self recently told the Journal-World he would like to add “a quick-twitch 4 man” to back up incoming freshman Billy Preston.

“If he’s not a quick-twitch guy, then hopefully a guy that’s big enough to play the 5,” Self said of his aspirations for adding another big man to the 2017 recruiting class. “But there’s some guys out there and there’s gonna be a lot of seniors that will look to transfer so hopefully we’ll find one.”

Per a search of Rivals database, these are the uncommitted (HS and JC) out there that have an offer from KANSAS.
.							Rivals	
							Rank	Stars
Trevon Duval	G	6'2"	189	Bradenton, FL 	3	*****
Mohamed Bamba	F	6'11"	225	Westtown, PA 	4	*****
Kevin Knox	F	6'8"	197	Tampa, FL 	9	*****
Brandon McCoy	C	6'11"	220	San Diego, CA 	15	*****
Brian Bowen	F	6'7"	195	La Porte, IN 	19	*****
M.J. Walker	G	6'4"	200	Jonesboro, GA 	20	*****
Jordan Tucker	F	6'7"	200	Marietta, GA 	54	****
Zach Brown	C	7'1"	256	Miami, FL 	?	****
Thomas Allen	G	6'1"	165	Wolfeboro, NH 	149	***
Shakur Juiston	F	6'7"	215	Hutchinson, KS  JC		

JayhawkSlant's Shay reports that Self & Roberts are going to be visiting Brewster Academy's Thomas Allen today.

Per Shay WIlderboor of Rivals/JayhawkSlant:
According to the Wolfpacker.com, Allen was named the NEPSAC Player of the Year and he helped Brewster Academy go 33-0 and win the National Prep School championship.

Of course, Self is still pursuing top PG prospect Trevon Duval, too, and word is he is also interested in JUCO hustle guy Shakur Juiston. And former UConn commit PG Makai Ashton-Langford is back on the market, too.

Nothing yet on where big man Bamba is going, but KU was not high on his list.

Lots of transfers, too, the list grows each year. Here is VerbalCommits.com's listing . The first portion is the "Recent Updates". Scroll down to see the complete listing, which can be sorted by the column of your choice.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 week ago #13425 by konza63

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #13426 by HawkErrant
Dedric Lawson, 6-9 236 sophomore
2017 w/Memphis: PPG 19.2 RPG 9.9 APG 3.3 BPG 2.1

KJ Lawson, 6-7 210 freshman
2017 w/Memphis: PPG 12.3 RPG 8.1 APG 2.8

ESPN

One scholly left for 2017-18, Self still pursuing top PG prospect Trevon Duval, Dookies said to be in lead for him.

Wiggins. Jackson.

Don't count Self out just yet.

Last Edit: 7 years 1 week ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 1 week ago #13427 by HawkErrant
BTW -- two more brothers in the pipeline, one a 2019 prospect, the other (Mom says the best of the bunch) 2021.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 week ago #13428 by Wheatstate Gal
Hoping all these brothers don't have parents like Lonzo Ball's (and his brothers') father.

Loving your children is one thing......sheesh!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #13429 by texkan
...please STOP and p u the LAWSON brothers: at the fork in the road, near the Slawson cutoff! THANK YOU, texkan ;p

ps-I'll be appearing sporadically---all week. ;)
Last Edit: 7 years 1 week ago by texkan.

More
7 years 1 week ago #13430 by JRhawk

More
7 years 1 week ago #13432 by JRhawk
Do I understand you correctly, that scholarships are used for transfer ins (Lawsons) for 2017/18 even though they aren't able to play? I must be missing something, as that seems to be a poor use of scholarships?

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 1 week ago #13434 by HawkErrant
That is correct, This past year Malik Newman has been on scholarship since arriving in the summer, and Sam Cunliffe since enrolling in January.

More
7 years 1 week ago #13435 by DrJHawker
A former McD AA who averaged a double double his sophomore year is more than worth a year of waiting. A great double pickup. Newman last year, Cunliffe and the Lawson brothers this year. Great transfer recruiting.