Ads pay for this site.
Click here to
contact the Admin.

Great news! Syracuse and Pitt are talking to the ACC!

September 17, 2011 02:24AM
NY Times article

Why is this great news?

I think the Big East is going to get ripped apart just like the Big 12 once the wheels are in motion. For them, the ACC, with its growing southern coastal markets, is the place to go, not the Rust Belt. They would have practically the whole east coast wrapped up! (Yes, I'm aware there are other issues with that, but there is going to be some form of ACC/BE in the future, and I'm looking at what might play out best for KU in this scenario...)

If the ACC moves to expand before the SEC and the B1G and come to terms with Pitt, Syracuse and AAU member Rutgers, the ACC will have solidified itself against raids by the SEC and the B1G while grabbing the really desirable Big East universities first. That will leave the ACC with one more opening to fill, and who knows where they would look for that? WVU would be one possibility, but there might be others, perhaps UConn? Navy? Whatever the case, the ACC would have grabbed the best eastern prizes first, which could work in KU's favor.

The SEC, in addition to A&M, could also look at BE members WVU (in order to move into more northern markets), and USF (to grab more media market and more presences in the Tampa St Pete regional market and Florida in general -- beyond Gainesville, that is, and a big thing since FSU would be staying with the ACC). If they did, that would still leave one more opening to get to 16. I think it would probably go to MU, but I also think MU could get a B1G invite if the ACC succeeds as I hope. But, after last year, would MU take a B1G invite if it also got one from the SEC? The SEC could also look at Cincinnati, which I think would be a much more likely target for them than Louisville given their existing UK footprint in Kentucky.

If the ACC could get Cuse, Pitt and Rutgers, then the B1G would have no other AAU&FBS university on the east coast to entice, and KU's stock has to go up in the eyes of the B1G. The B1G would still be sitting on 12, although likely in the process of finally getting Notre Dame on board due to the cracks in the Big East. Would the B1G go after UConn? Hmm... if they did and got UConn and ND they would be 2 short of 16. Would they really look at tu? Would tu be willing to meet the BiG's terms? I think not. That means there would still be two, and hopefully KU would be offered, especially if MU went to the SEC.

Would tu then go to the Pac? Or would it consider the SEC? Man, that would tick off A&M! But it would be great to see tu acting like a dog that already has a great treat but loses it in going after another dog's treat -- and then doesn't get either one! Let tu form the tu+ conference, as long as KU is not in it!

Whatever happens, if OU jumps to the Pac1# and takes OSU with them, I so want the ACC poised to add Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers -- and maybe even UConn or WVU for 16 -- to gird itself against incursions by the SEC and the B1G, and leave the B12G in particular with no other really enticing east coast candidates to consider. Hello, KU? B1G calling, let's talk...

"So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late" -- Bob Dylan
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. - Mark Twain, "Innocents Abroad"
SubjectAuthorPosted

Great news! Syracuse and Pitt are talking to the ACC!

HawkErrantSeptember 17, 2011 02:24AM

KU to PAC 12 odds increasing

SilasbuddySeptember 17, 2011 08:12AM

ESPN: Pitt, Syracuse apply to ACC

HawkErrantSeptember 17, 2011 03:31PM

More ESPN

HawkErrantSeptember 17, 2011 03:43PM

ACC fading fast for Texas; Pac1#?

HawkErrantSeptember 17, 2011 11:04PM

Austin Statesman article

HawkErrantSeptember 17, 2011 11:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login