Ads pay for this site.
Click here to
contact the Admin.

Thoughts on last night's game...

February 23, 2012 07:12AM
Do you think Coach Self has reminded the team of the new rule that games are now 40 minutes long instead of only 30?

I was very relieved that we got out of A&M last night. Losing that game would have been a devastating blow after being up by 20. I know that Hawkerrant has tied these letdowns to Withey getting put on the bench, and that others have tied this to guys playing too many minutes. While I don't discount these theories, I don't think either were what happened last night. In short, being up by 20 with about 10 minutes left, EVERYBODY thought the game was over.

With the game "over" the A&M fans headed toward the doors. If you notice, by the end, the place was dang near empty. With the air being let out of the balloon, KU kicked both their offense and defense into neutral. Here's what went down:

10:04: KU up by 20 (49-29): Releford fouls, A&M makes 2 FTs.
9:25: after at TT miss and A&M rebound, A&M makes a 3.

So within 30 seconds, A&M is off to a 5-0 run, and KU hasn't realized that the momentum might have shifted. Score is now 49-34.

Self calls timeout to get the guys focused. From 9:15 to 7:56, KU scores once, A&M makes a layup and a FT. Lead is down to 14. Still ok, but not the cushy 20 point margin we had.

From 7:56 to the next timeout at 5:41, we get NOTHING offensively except for 2 FT's by Conner and 2 FT's by T-Rob. A&M scores a 3, get's an "and 1" 3 point play, and a field goal. So KU has a net loss of 4 points, and now it's a 10 point game with 5 minutes left.

Suddenly it's a ball game. 10 points is NO cushion with that much time, A&M knows it, and since they've outscored KU by 10 points in the previous 5 minutes, THEY have the momentum and KU is just waking up. The last 5 minutes were a nail biter.

In short, these guys fell asleep at the wheel last night, IMHO. Plain and simple.

OK...moving forwad......

Obviously we have a HUGE game coming up on Saturday. In some ways, I think last night's game can act as a motivator for Saturday. Since the A&M collapse was similar to the collapse in Columbia, I think it will give HCBS plenty of ammo to use on the team in the next few days about FINISHING the game. If that's the focus of the game, I think it plays into our hands, and the team will not only let up if they get a lead, but will try to make a "statement" about stepping on the other guy's neck when he's down.

Other than that, it's good to see our guards making shots from outside. T-Rob was shut down last night. Coach said he never "engaged", but I also think his T at the end demonstrated how he had been hounded all night.

On to Saturday. Can't wait.
SubjectAuthorPosted

Thoughts on last night's game...

NotOstertagFebruary 23, 2012 07:12AM

Concur, NotO

Konza63February 23, 2012 08:10AM

One quick follow-up (HawkE's point on Withey)

Konza63February 23, 2012 12:50PM

When did he sit?

NotOstertagFebruary 23, 2012 12:58PM

Upon further analysis, I was wrong on Jeff

HawkErrantFebruary 23, 2012 02:00PM

Thanks, HawkE

Konza63February 23, 2012 02:43PM

Ditto...

NotOstertagFebruary 23, 2012 03:29PM

There was a point in last night's game where...

KongFebruary 23, 2012 09:06AM

Saw that too...

NotOstertagFebruary 23, 2012 09:54AM

Re: Saw that "three" (joke on too/two)

BayhawkerFebruary 23, 2012 10:47AM

I think that's a great observation, Kong! (nm)

porthawkFebruary 23, 2012 10:52AM

You're right

IowaHawkFebruary 23, 2012 09:31AM

Re: You're right

ArkanhawkFebruary 23, 2012 11:51AM

Not limited to Self...

NotOstertagFebruary 23, 2012 12:56PM

3 notable exceptions this year...

Konza63February 23, 2012 01:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login